Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Feta, Gruyere, Swimming, & Project Runway

My life has been rather boring lately, well except for last evening, when I went to Arabic speaking club, and my Iraqi dialect teacher was there and invited a couple of us back to his apartment for dinner. Over the course of a few (very long, slightly painful) hours, it was discovered that my teacher is a big fan of Michael Bolton.

He began belting one of Mr. Bolton's tunes out ("Did you hear the news today...?") until I politely asked him to cease and desist as he was on the verge of making everyone ill within listening range. I then had the unsavory task of telling him that Michael Bolton is considered a total wanker by US standards, although I do believe I used the word "cheesy," which of course, he did not understand, seeing as his English is not so good. Instead, I was bombarded with -- "cheesy? what is this 'cheesy' word? why do you say he is cheesy? what does this mean that a person is cheesy?"


Perhaps a visual is the best explanation.

Holy crap, how does one explain the concept of cheese to an Iraqi? I quickly surmised that it was simply impossible to explain. So he then switched gears and began singing a Bryan Adams song ("Everything I do, I do it for you..."), to which I simply shrugged and concluded that this is what Baghdadis must believe is popular and hip American pop music. No wonder we're getting bombed over there.

Also of note, today I timed myself swimming a mile (72 lengths = 36 laps), and I achieved my all-time fastest distance swim... completed in exactly 36.5 minutes! Therefore, I'm taking the day off tomorrow to relax and get a pedicure...

OK, so now to the important information... the semi-finale to "Project Runway"!!!

I'm sure this is boring if you don't watch the show (and why you wouldn't is unfathomable to me), but my two favorite designers, Michael and Laura, created the two worst dresses -- in my opinion -- tonight!! However, there was a "feel good" ending, and all four designers advanced to the Fashion Week finale.

First, the worst:

You know I love Laura, but this dress was sooo blaaaahhhhh. Yuck. The color was D-U-L-L, I hated the lace, the neckline was too wide & plunging, the dangling beads are getting old (sort of like Angela's rosettes), and it's just an overused theme from her. Plus, honestly, I'm just putting this out here... I think her model is really unattractive...

She reminds me of a less pretty version of that character "Susan" that was on Sesame Street in the 1970s.

Here she is with "Bob" --- I think she did have shorter hair at one time.

And BTW, does anyone think Bob bears an uncanny resemblance to Owen Wilson in this picture?

Anyway, Michael's dress also sucked. As you can see, even "Bravo" thought so, as their website is only displaying the thumbnail size version of his design!!!

If you could actually see it, you'd know that the "keyhole" front actually looked more like the back of the dress, it didn't fit well (very gappy around the boob area), and his verbal creativity was lacking when he described his dress as "sexy, sultry, and sensual," which sounds like a "match.com" advertisement minus the "soul mate," "I like taking long walks holding hands," and "cuddling in front of a fire" bits.

Now don't get me wrong, I think that hyena-like, tattoo-necked Jeffrey is as miserable and evil as the next person... so I was appalled that I actually liked his design (panned by the judges) in tonight's episode:

He's not much to look at, but I thought his dress was actually kind of cute. And definitely not his typical "Hot Topic" and "Wet Seal" kind of look. Maybe I was just relieved it didn't involve shredded vinyl or ripped denim for a change.

And, the biggest shock of the night... Uli, who won this episode.

I thought the neckline and front of this dress were great! I'm personally not crazy about the tye-dye thing because it reminds me of my college freshman year roommate who was obsessed with the Grateful Dead, but I do really like the cut of the design. And thank god it wasn't long and flowy with braiding, which is what she does every single week. I was really sure she was getting auf'd tonight so her win came as quite a shock. Let's just hope her Fashion Week collection isn't full of Miami Beach bohemian peasant dresses...

That's all for tonight... now I'm off to sleep. Ciao.

No comments: