Thursday, September 07, 2006

Shit Slinging in My Grad Department

The camping story is going to have to wait (again) because my e-mail was attacked by people in my grad department flinging dung at each other today. (which of course gave me great pleasure to read). So please take a moment and check out this totally bizarro e-mail exchange between my colleagues, which was sent out to the entire departmental grad student "Listserv."

FYI: I have changed names to protect the innocent (umm, that's me). And for what it's worth, in case you couldn't guess, I am totally on Matthew's side (who is Muslim as well and also goes by the name "Aziz" as a nickname)...


It started out innocently, when a girl named Tara invited everyone to dinner on Friday:

Hi Everybody!

Some of us students are going out for Ethiopian food this coming Friday at 7PM. You are welcome to join us!The name of the restraurant is: Zeman's Restaurant. The address is: 2831 E Broadway. If you need a ride, ask through the listserv and those of us with cars can plan a carpool. Please let me know if you plan to come by Thursday evening so I can make reservations. This restaurant is not only cheap but has great, authentic food. Zeman's does not sell alcoholic beverages on its premises, but patrons are allowed to bring their own wine or beer at no charge if they like. Thanks, Tara

Then, a girl named Melissa (a newly converted and stringent Muslim American who married a north African guy who worked at the hotel where she was staying while on vacation) wrote this:

Tara, I heard about this restaurant--great idea. Thanks for being considerate and letting us know about the alcohol situation, for some of us that might have prevented us from going. I will be needing a ride, if anyone has room. I live on N. Fremont just a few blocks north of student union. - Melissa

And then Matthew (AKA Aziz) -- another American Muslim convert -- retorted with this (which I loved):

BTW, people who want rides to the restaurant should be willing to meet at the department. Dropping off at people's homes is fine, but there wasn't a department taxi service last time I checked... And, although I don't drink and never have, I have no problem with any choice of restaurant that my peers choose for a fun get-together and wouldn't boycott it just for that reason, eh! - Aziz

And this Melissa girl just couldn't let it slide. She had to respond with this (to the entire grad student and professor listserv):

In response to Aziz's email I want to clarify my comment for everyone else who read it as well. Although *Aziz* may be fine with a choice of a restaurant where alcohol is served, some people cannot sit among a group of people who drink not because they want to disrespect other students but because of a tradition of Prophet Muhammad, which I would be glad to show Aziz if he wishes to see it.

Those people's sensitivities should be respected (and have been, thanks to people like Tara). Let us not make those who are practicing certain religious beliefs feel alienated or intolerant simply because they choose to do so. If such students do not show up at events where alcohol is served I assure you it is not because they don't wish to socialize with other students. Also, I dont think anyone assumes anyone else is a taxi service, just because they choose to provide their address (as I did.) For some people, my location may be more convenient than the department's building. In the future, Aziz can contact me directly if he wants to say something to me in an indirect way...instead of sending it to the entire listserv, I'm sure people have been getting enough emails as it is! ;)

Thanks!

And I hope to see everyone on Friday!

Melissa

OK, now back to planet Earth (where I'm sitting) -- with a couple of comments...

1) I personally love the winking smiley face emoticon and light-hearted and chipper tone with which she ends her bitch rant.

2) No, I do not intend to go to this potentially disastrous dinner, although the temptation to see these two sitting at the same table is great.

3) I am not going because I am getting together with my best former Arabic friend Jenn (who is a quitter and dropped out of Arabic this year to "focus on classes in her major"... yeah, whatever), and we are watching "Labyrinth," which features David Bowie wearing ballet tights...




That is a rocking way to spend a Friday night, and it certainly sounds more appealing than sitting at a table with a brainwashed nutcase girl who can't even be in the same room as a bottle of beer. Belch...



Viva la BIRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss Arizona and the department so much. Why didn't this sort of thing happen while I was there? I only just learned the word emoticon, but I'm glad to see others have known about its existence for some time.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Melissa was trying to "out-Muslim" Aziz to show how devoted she really is to Mohammed...