Thursday, September 21, 2006

Swimming Islamic Style

I think I'm in for a doozy this Friday (tomorrow/today depending on what day you're reading this).

It all started last Monday...

I have a habit of going to the gym every morning after my 9:30am Arabic class. Well, you may recall that there is a woman named "Melissa" in my graduate department... the Qur'an-thumper American convert who recently announced via Listserv e-mail that she would never attend student events at which alcohol would be present because this would mean an automatic ticket to hell. (click here if you haven't read about it yet)

Anyway, every day I walk into Arabic class, Melissa always comments on how "sporty" I look, as I am generally wearing my gym clothes. So on Monday, she asked what sort of exercise I do. I told her that I usually go to the pool to swim laps if the weather is good.

Suddenly, she got a gleam in her eye and said, "Oh! I've been wanting to lose 15 pounds, and I love to swim! And... " (here's where it gets interesting) "the Islamic bathing suit I ordered just arrived in the mail... so if it's OK, I'm going to join you!"

So I'm thinking... WTF is Islamic swimwear? Is there such a thing as an Islamic bathing suit? Afraid to seem frightened and/or overly curious, I non-chalantly asked, "Oh, so what does your bathing suit look like?" (crossing fingers and silently whispering to self... please don't let it be some big black cape-like garment) She responded that it had long sleeves and a "built-in hood." I immediately had thoughts of a wetsuit, so I asked her if it was similar. And she responded, "Oh, yes, very similar to a wetsuit!"

All right... I can deal with a wetsuit. But this (my Google search showed) is not any sort of freaking wetsuit!!! I kid you not... the maker of this garment calls it "the burqini"...

This is something the oompa loompas would wear in Willy Wonka's factory!



Lindsey wonders if the girl will sink with all the weight of the cloth. I wonder if she will roast alive in the 90 degree sun.

I'm also wondering if she will change into this garment(s) (as it appears to be made of multiple parts) in the locker room? In front of me? I suppose I should consciously avert my eyes if she shows skin? I wonder if I'll finally get to see her hair? Or will she change in one of the toilet stalls? Oh, the disconcerting mystery of it all!

I have invited Linds to come along (if for nothing else, curiosity's sake), but she has ditched me like a hot potato, leaving me to fly alone in the wind with this kooky woman...

Look for an update after the weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome - be sure to update us please - I am curious now.

Anonymous said...

Where, oh where, is the update?

Anonymous said...

yes people, Kit does not lie, it is that bad in our department!