Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Why I Like Laura on Project Runway!

Oh my goodness. I have been blog-attacked by my friend, Laura from College, who insists that I am a terrible person for supporting another Laura -- the red-haired Laura on this season's "Project Runway." (I shall differentiate between the Lauras by referring to them as College Laura and PR Laura).

Please take a moment to
read College Laura's virulent blog which rails against my good judgment.

In my defense, I would like to make the following points:

1. I never said I would want to be PR Laura's friend. I mean, the woman is pretty bitchy, but that's part of her allure and intrigue. And frankly, in many ways I appreciate her total and complete honesty because, let's face it, she's almost always right: Kayne is a Vegas-inspired, rather classless pageant designer who can't break out of that mold, Jeffery is an arrogant ass, Angela was a flake obsessed with rosettes, and Vincent was a kook who made crappy garments that only he liked & admired. As far as I'm aware, she has not picked on Uli (who also makes the same exact dress every week) or Michael, who are clearly the two best designers besides herself, and she is also friends with them.


My favorite designers (in order): PR Laura, Michael, & Uli

2. It should also be noted that I am not basing my judgement on personality. I personally hate Jeffery but thought he did actually make the best outfit (the couture dress) last week...

However, I like PR Laura the most because she is the designer that I would choose first to design clothing for me. I like her style, I like her classic-ness, I like her clean lines, I like her simplicity, and in a nutshell: I'm being entirely selfish about this... she makes clothing I would personally wear. I don't care about her personality as much as I like the woman's clothes.


Like this...

I loved the "nuts" dress!

3. That said, she has gone over the top once or twice, particularly in relation to her pregnancy... I agree the baby belly shirt was definitely skeevy, and her description of the new baby as "just one more to throw on the pile" was rather disturbing, but hey, I'm sorry... I like her designs!! You may call them boring and repetitive, but I would choose them time and again.


I agree that this maternity shirt (or not) was a hideously bad look. Yuck! Plus the couture dress she designed was a bit on the 'Addams Family' side. However, everyone is allowed to make a mistake now and then...

So this is why I like PR Laura. She is a great seamstress, she's honest and straight-forward, and her clothes almost always look good. Of course, bear in mind that I also liked Wendy Pepper (largely because she was so caustic) when the whole world hated her...

...so apparently I like to root for the older, bitchy, feisty female.

And finally, I will have you know that I do also like Michael Knight very much and would be equally happy if he were to win this season. In fact, he has proven himself to be a most innovative and talented designer, and he also seems like a nice person (please note that he and PR Laura often tend to align themselves together -- so angelic Michael must see something good in her too! ).

3 comments:

Lola said...

OH! You are so rational. How can I argue with rational thought?

Lovey said...

i agree with much of what you say. however, i feel that Jeffrey's couture dress was a ripoff of recent McQueen as well as Galliano from a few years back. (and as Lola pointed out, Vivienne Westwood as well). Jeffrey's just a biter! and his "jetsetter" skull t-shirt was so urban outfitters/wet seal, it's not even funny!!

Anonymous said...

I like Laura too - and am tossed about whether or not she or Michael should win - it will be tough. Jeffrey is just mean and evil and Kayne - well - Kayne should stick to pagents. Although I did love his Miss USA dress.
We'll see who gets cut tonight.