Monday, October 02, 2006

Japanese Macaque Snow Monkeys

Miguel and I are both big fans of monkeys.

I'm not sure why I am, since I was nearly mauled by a pack of them in India several years ago. I was also attacked by an organ grinder monkey in Spain in 2000, when its owner put it on my shoulder inside a small convenience store because I thought it was cute, and then the thing started freaking out and pulling my hair and then climbed onto my head and started screeching at the top of its lungs. It took its owner about a full minute (translated into "felt like" time of about an hour) to remove it from my head, where it was clinging on for dear life as I was in a full-on state of sheer panic.

Despite this, I still think all simian creatures are fun to look at, even if they can be mean little buggers.


Anyway, talking on the phone with Miguel this evening, he told me I should do a Google search for "Japanese Macaque Snow Monkeys," which he read about recently in National Geographic. So I did. Then he asked me to look at the pictures of them playing in the thermal pools in northern Japan. So I did... and I must say they are honestly some of the cutest little characters I've seen in a while...

Here they are:








I found these images rather calming after reading about the Amish schoolhouse massacre today. I mean, WTF is going on? Amish people are getting attacked now?

As for other unsavory news, I must admit that I am loving the Foley-teen boy improper relationship scandal. Gawker is renaming the :) smiley face emoticon "the Foley." I love it!

On that note... off to bed now... sweet dreams!!!

No comments: