Sunday, October 01, 2006

General Weekend Tomfoolery

Hmmmpphhh... the weekend is over.

Although I didn't get to Seattle as I'd planned, I still had a pretty good time here in Tucson, as unbelievable as that sounds to my own ears.

I actually did quite a bit of research at the library on Friday afternoon, worked out for a while on the elliptical at the gym, and then had a tasty Mexican dinner and amusing conversation later in the evening with my friend Jordy (from my department) & his fiance, Katie, who just moved here from Michigan and has started working as an ICU nurse. Despite my personal aversion to all things medical, I do enjoy a hospital story or two, and she had a few interesting tales to tell... you know, drug addicts, organ transplants, and bedpan/vomit anecdotes.

Speaking of bedpans, check
this website out... it's bedpan artwork!!

Here's my favorite creation:

With a note from le artiste:

While the artist must stress that he isn't actually calling for the assasination of Oprah Winfrey, considering the world's current condition and the loss of so many innocents, he wouldn't really lose any sleep if it happened.

The inscription on this bedpan reads:

"Although at first glance it seems as if Oprah Winfrey is quite the philanthropist, she promotes a lifestyle of constant and pointless suburban consumption, which when practiced by soccer moms en masse, leads to enormous gaps between the rich and poor, killing many. Oprah must die so that many more can live."

And if you've seen the South Park episode with Oprah's minge, you'd agree.

On Saturday, I actually rallied myself to start my homework early, finishing my Arabic assignments before 2pm and doing a bit of reading for my Quran class. In the late afternoon, I took a jog -- something I rarely do (even though I actually ran cross country in high school) because I started getting terrible shin splints about 10 years ago.

However, for whatever reason, a run sounded good... so I ran over to campus, where I had no idea a football game was starting in an hour. So I encountered about a bazillion fans (many of whom appeared to be rednecks) drinking beer out of campers, trailers, and tents on our main quad on campus...


This was the scene I ran smack into.

I also came across our marching band practicing in the area, leading me to discover that Jordy & Katie hadn't been kidding the night before, when they told me that our band is doing a "Radiohead" themed show. (May I remind you that, in comparison, my high school marching band did a "Miami Sound Machine" theme in 1988?) So I turned my MP3 player off and stood and watched the pre-game show for a bit. I must admit to being secretly impressed when the entire band stopped playing for a second and started singing "Karma Police" in unison...

Here's the real song for anyone interested (minus Jenn, who has publicly announced her derision for Radiohead -- all because of some lame ex-boyfriend)...

"This is what you get, this is what you get
This is what you get, when you mess with us"

He might have kooky eyes... but ahhh, the voice of Thom Yorke.

Anyway, on Saturday night I went to a birthday dinner party for a girl I went camping with last month, and then a bunch of us went dancing. I drank too much, fell asleep at three am, and awoke very parched.

Aside from swimming and doing a bit more homework, I spent most of my day today curled up in bed drinking coffee in my pajamas and reading "The Namesake" by Jhumpa Lahiri, which is a great book with wonderful characters...


It's so well written, I just can't put it down.


I also rented a bunch of old videos ("Jezebel" with Bette Davis, "Midnight Express," "The Chocolate War," and some Japanese film) from the school library this evening and plan to pop one in the VCR right about now.

Toodles.