Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I Guess I'm About Ready For Mom Jeans

As I've mentioned, my dad and half-sister have been visiting this past week.

Here I am with my dad at dinner last night...

Yes, I look like my mom. Praise the lord I didn't get the B. family's raspberry nose.

And here's my little sibling, Hannah...

... who is totally not-so-little anymore. She's almost as tall as me with a size 10 foot... and she's only 12 years old!

So today, while my dad was touring the stupor-inducing Pima Air & Space Museum, I was put in charge of entertaining Hannah. Unfortunately for her, I had a few errands to run, one of which included picking up my cap and gown at the Student Union Bookstore.

(Side notes: a. I am assuming I will actually have a thesis completed in order to graduate in May; and b. I have no interest whatsoever in tedious ceremonial wastes of time, but my mother is insistent that I attend the damn graduation ceremony so I am only doing it to please her.)

Anyway, at the Student Union Bookstore, a tall nerdy man wearing a cap and gown greeted us at the doorway and asked if we were looking for "Grad Fest..."

Me: Yes, I guess so. I just need a cap and gown.

Nerd Man: Oh wonderful! Congratulations!

Me: Not yet. Don't jinx me.

Nerd Man: What are you majoring in?

Me: I'm getting a master's degree in Near Eastern Studies.

Nerd Man (nodding and looking at Hannah): Great! And what about you? Are you graduating?

Me (thinking, "is this man blind"?): Ummm, no, she's only 12.

Nerd Man: Oh, students just look younger and younger these days so you never know!

Me: (Polite chuckle. Trying to walk away.)

Nerd Man (to Hannah): Wow, you must be really proud of your mom!

Seriously, someone shoot me now.

4 comments:

Italianissima said...

wow, Hannah IS all grown up. She looks like a teenager...sigh...I feel old whenever I see something like this...where did the time go? When I first met you Kit she was a little girl!!!

JC said...

OK, that was damn funny. I almost understand where the guy's coming from with the Hannah thing because I've seen college students that look like they're 12 years old to me.

Laura said...

Hilarious.

SN: With respect to "The Descent" my sister and I screamed at one point and we watch EVERY horror movie and she never ever ever get scared.

It was fun!

nonstop said...

no he didn't