Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Job, School, Library, Spring Break, & Weather

Here's a mini life update:

1. I have the best job ever. Four hours/day, two days a week, $9/hour. The four month old baby is super cute, sleeps a lot, and is almost always amiable when she's awake. And I get a ton of homework done (while she's sleeping, of course).

I snapped a few pictures of her yesterday...

She was a little perplexed by the camera.

Then she got a little shy...

I loved the cardigan.

Here she is hanging out on her playmat...

... which I didn't know existed until I started re-babysitting.

2. Outside of that insane workday of mine, this has actually been a crazy busy week with mid-terms and presentations.

3. Speaking of presentations, I was at the library tonight working on a power point presentation I have to give tomorrow in my art history class.

I've never actually been to the library after 6pm, and now I know why. That place turns into freak show central at night. Every homeless old stinker in Tucson shows up to the computer commons area...

There was even an entire table of deaf homeless people (or possibly group home residents) shouting at each other, and there was also a toothless, long-haired old woman in a floppy hat wearing Daisy Dukes with bright red high heels and a halter top.

4. My spring break plans to Seattle have been readjusted. Sadly, Jo's father passed away last week so she is still in NYC helping out her mom. Although I was planning to visit a few friends in Seattle, one of the main reasons for my visit was to finally meet Jo's baby, Carson. Since neither of them will be in town, I decided to postpone my visit.

Now, I'm just going up to Phoenix this Saturday to visit my mom's two 70-something year old cousins. One of them has a mountain vacation home up in Prescott so the three of us (yeah, we're a pretty crazy crew) are going up there for the weekend to play Boggle & shuffleboard, relax, and do whatever else it is that 70-something year old people do.

Not naked though...

Sweet mother of Jesus. I just Googled "shuffleboard" under images, and this photo came up from this nudist camp. Aside from the Reubenesque figures of those lovely models, I find myself fixated on their early 90s hair styles, which appear rather similar to my own hair in the 1989-era. But that's the only similarity. Really.

I'm spending the rest of the week back here in Tucson, ostensibly working on my thesis & art history papers, and going to happy hours with friends.

I'm also hoping to master the art of Indian cooking, as I bought some korma sauce and some butter chicken mix from the India Food store where I get my eyebrows threaded.

In case you haven't lost your appetite from the above photo, here are my favorite Indian dishes...

I hope my eyes weren't bigger than my stomach and my aspirations are not bigger than my talent since I pretty much hate cooking, but we'll see... I mean, I don't even know how to cook rice!

5. It was 83 degrees here today, and I finally broke out a t-shirt and my capri pants. It felt pretty good, especially when Al Roker told me it was 28 degrees on the East Coast.

On that note, it's time for Lost (which admittedly has Jumped the Shark a bit...) and then more work on my art presentation.

2 comments:

JC said...

Wow, the baby looks just like you - you must be so proud!

Your library experience is the biggest reason why I wouldn't want to work in a public library after I get my LIS degree. Makes academic or government libraries sound pretty good.

I'm so sorry to hear about Jo's father. I know that I don't know her, but it's still sad.

I love Indian food. My favorite is chicken tikka masala. Mmm. Good luck with the cooking!

Italianissima said...

I experienced the homeless people of Tucson first hand when my morning coffee was interupted by a screaming homeless person. He quieted down when a kind stranger gave him something to eat. Sad really.