Saturday, March 03, 2007

Thesis? What Thesis?

In yet another effort to sabotage my thesis, which I've yet to start writing, I went out with Anna & Alex to an Optics Department party last night. The celebration was in honor of a guy who just finished defending his dissertation and who earned a PhD in Optical Physics yesterday. Serious congratulations were in order!

Alex's friend was the drummer in the band that was playing (a funk band that also played the Police and a few other good 80s covers), and since Alex is getting his PhD in something related to optics, he knew a lot of the people there. By the time we left the party, I'd estimate about 150 people were there. It was packed!

Earlier in the evening, we snapped some pics...

Here is Alex with Josh...

...also a PhD student and avid Ultimate Frisbee player...

And here's Ben and Anna...

... note Ben's signature purple "pullover."

Anna wanted me to have a photo of myself for my blog (narcissism and all, you know)...

... so here I am with Alex.

This is a nice one of Ben telling some hilarious story or another...

... classic Ben.

And then Anna & I went on the attack...

... with the most action Ben's gotten in months.

Later in the evening, while the band was on a break...

... we hit the Eurotrash dance floor.

Here's Dave (the PhD earner) & his girlfriend...

... I can only imagine how ecstatic I would be after earning that kind of degree.

I look a little dazed & confused here...

... or at least enraptured by Ben's unbelievable dance moves.

Here's Shomo...

... the Calcutta DJ.

And saving the best for last...

... Ben and I perform our rendition of "Baby Got Back."

(And as a sidenote, if that song actually ever does come on and I am with you, please ask me to sing the alternative lyrics that my friends and I devised in college, entitled "I Like Big Links," which are far too tawdry for this squeaky clean website.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Omg Alex is smoking hot!!

Italianissima said...

Agreed. He is gorge. Who is he and why didn't I meet him when I was visiting?

JC said...

Wow, your eyes look really freaky in that one photo. I applaud you for posting it!

Chickytava said...

Yep, Alex is pretty hot... and he just moved in with Anna.

Sorry, ladies.